Friday, October 02, 2009

EDM # 1--Draw a Shoe



Here is my take on the first challenge. I think the colors are accurate. The photography needs work. A scanner would be even better, but that will have to wait. I am also including the pen and ink drawing before the watercolors were added. I am pleased with the sketch overall. I wish the inside of the shoe had more depth. I am adding the pen and ink drawing before watercolor was added. I wonder if cross-hatching would have added that depth. All advice appreciated.

13 comments:

Susan Hosken said...

The shoe was one of my first challenges when I joined EDM. Happy memories. Thanks for sharing.
Lots of love from susan in australia

nanke's stuff said...

I think you did a fine job. Usually the inside of the shoe would be a darker value than the outside. Maybe that would create a bit more depth. nancy

Shirley said...

Great start. Please keep sharing...we all learn from seeing lots of work from other members.

Ann said...

I think your shoe drawing looks great!

Dan Kent said...

I started with pencil, then with ink, then when I added watercolor it was a constant weighing to decide how much ink and how much color. I'm still always trying to decide. So looking at other artists - some are heavy on the hatching with the color, some light. I try it all (with mixed results) - that's what I'd suggest. Then see what fits you. If you don't crosshatch, you need to have a clear difference in value as Nancy says. Good effort!

Anonymous said...

Great job on the shoe and finding such an interesting one to draw and paint.

Ramona said...

Well anonymous was me. I clicked on the wrong thing.

Unknown said...

I think the drawing shows a lot of energy and personality. I can almost guess what the person wearing the shoe must be like. I think if you varied the thickness of your line and even left it out in areas where the light is hitting, your drawing would look even more vibrant. Cross hatched lines are nice sometimes, you could try another one with the criss crossing........

Patty Ruthe said...

Great shoe. Sometimes I use the ink before the watercolors and sometimes I use the ink after. O.K. sometimes I do both. Have fun!

Alex said...

Love the colors too! This reminds me of one of those rock climbing shoes.
Appreciate the steps as well :)

Aurileide Alves said...

The first EDM challenge we never forget. This is great. Hope you keep on doing all the list itens, so I can see them. Go on!

donna said...

Thanks to everyone who left such kind words.

Unknown said...

It is a wonderful wonderful shoe! I think you did a great job of it! If you want to know the truth, sometimes I cheat. In that interior area just above the red outside part of the shoe, I would be tempted to gradually make it get darker as it neared the red. I think it would add to the depth there. (phew! sorry to make that sound so complicated!)