Monday, October 19, 2009

EDM # 185--Draw a Cat


This is our cat (Edgar Allan) Poe. I like the pen and ink cat drawing. Then, I tried to recreate the folds of the blanket on which he slept. I tried to draw what I saw but I think I failed miserably. I need more practice with folds, obviously.

I debated about posting this sketch. I wanted to get a couple of sketches posted this week, as I will be on holiday next week. So I didn't take the time to do it over. We are about learning, right? You win some and you lose some. In this case, all in the same sketch.

15 comments:

Alex said...

I am glad you posted this because it's really brilliant!
:) I love how you drew how the cat slept and all, so adorable. And the way with the lines, it looks confusing but actually they have their own ways and all, which they all combined to make out the entire piece.

Tammy Freiborg said...

Wonderful captured moment of you furry friend! I love the black and white design of the cat's blanket! ;)

nanke's stuff said...

Very nice job. I love how furry he is. I'm glad you posted it! nancy

Lynn said...

Wow! The texture of the fur is perfect!

A tired retired recluse @ Swallowcliffs.blogspot.com/ said...

Folds are very difficult. The cat is great. I am glad some are willing to show work even when things don't turn out as they want. We learn from these things!

Melissa S. said...

Your cat looks so realistic, all cozy and comfy! I wouldn't be able to do folds either!

Sasa said...

The fur is really nice, a bit wild. And the paws are so cute... Really cat-like.

Timaree said...

He's a very textural kitty. I like the drawing. Glad you posted. We all need to work on our drawing. As we learn more, we see more what we don't know.

donna said...

Thanks to everyone who left a comment. I appreciate you taking the time to visit and leave such kind words.

Ellen Burkett said...

He is beautiful and the drawing is beautiful! (And I love his name too) You are right, we are all about learning but I don't think you've failed miserably at the blanket. It may not be what you wanted, but that doesn't mean it's a failure. Remember what Edison said...that he had not failed, but had found 10,000 ways that didn't work. I kind of like the contrast between the different types of penwork on the two. Maybe you'll do it diferently, maybe not. I love the drawing and am so happy you posted it!

Ramona Davidson said...

Lovely picture. I think you did an excellent job with the cat and the blanket.

Unknown said...

Hi Donna! This is a wonderful cat. Coincidentally, I just started feeding a stray black cat hanging around my house. We named him Edgar Allen Poe! Eddie for short.

For learning more about drawing folds, I recommend a book called "the natural way to draw" by kimon nicolaides. He says every fold has at least three surfaces and are shaded accordingly. I used to get lost in all the folds, and his way of explaining it did simplify the process for me!

Patty Ruthe said...

Wonderful cat! I guess I better read that book as I can't seem to get the hang of folds either!

Liquid &Tunsie said...

neat art. nice cat! keep up the good aert

Lesley Purcell said...

This cat picture is just lovely! :-)