Tuesday, January 26, 2010

EDM # 2--Draw a Lamp


I present Sunday's post on Tuesday, again. Maybe Tuesday works better for me.

Here's a surprise. I am (mostly) happy with this week's effort. Mark this on your calendar, it almost never happens. The symmetry was definitely challenging. I even drew most of it upside down.

I am not as happy with the photo. I really need to get that scanner!

I really enjoyed building up the values. It was relaxing.

I appreciate all who take the time to visit and post. Thank you!

17 comments:

Patsy Taylor-Craw said...

Excellent sketch! I draw with my photo & sketch upside down a lot of the time. Glad your sketch time was relaxing.

donna said...

Patsy--Thank you for visiting and your kind words!

Ellen Burkett said...

Donna, you outdid yourself! This is excellent! Drawing things upside down is an excellent idea! It helps you see things in a whole new way of negative and positive spaces. And you can tell you had fun building layers up. You really did it! Great job!

Alex said...

Beautiful lamp this is! I have yet to try drawing things upside down yet, I'll remember to try that in one of these days :)

donna said...

Ellen--Wow! Thanks. I hope there is a message in your inbox later. If not today, tomorrow.

Alex--I am still so happy you are back. Yes, drawing upside down is very surprising. I usually do it if I am trying to make both sides match. I forget that it makes other images less complicated too.

martinepittet said...

Lovely sketch with very nice shades.Congratulations, I find symetry very difficult to achieve ! You do make me feel like trying this "upside down" drawing...

nanke's stuff said...

I'm glad you're happy with this sketch - as well you should be! Symmetry is definitely a challenge. I've seen artists make a template in order to get both sides the same. nancy

Dan Kent said...

I've been so busy - got a little behind. Your last several posts are wonderful! I think the lamp drawing is great - and do you believe you are the second blog tonight I went to where the drawing was done upside down? I am definitely not with it. And I love your ink and watercolor for what you see in the morning when you get up!

Janet Ghio said...

You did a great job on this drawing! The base of it looks really good!!

donna said...

Martine--thank you. Yes, try the "upside-down" drawing. It is pretty amazing. There is an exercise is Drawing on the right side of the brain. It uses fairly complicated drawings. But if you turn them upside down all you see is shapes instead of a horse or whatever the drawing was. It fools your brain.

Nancy--Yes, i have seen the template used also. But I am trying learn to embrace the human hand in art. Thank you for the kind words!

Dan--I understand getting behind. I have posted the last two Sunday Sketches on Tuesday, lol. I am glad you liked my last posts. I am happy with my progress.

Janet--Thank you for visiting. I appreciate your comments. Loved your blog, btw. I somehow missed it before I think.

Ramona Davidson said...

Really good drawing. It has style and interest.

Unknown said...

These are some of the hardest drawings to do, in my opinion! In fact, it is easier for me to draw faces than to get the balance correct on vases, lamps etc! You've done a great job of it!

donna said...

Ramona--Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them.

Raena--Thank you. Oh, faces are harder, I think. But I am anxious to cut a face in half and paste it in my sketchbook so I can draw it. Did you see that post? Very cool!

Unknown said...

Oh yes! I saw that one! Joanne has had a lot of great exercises posted lately! I'm going to try the monochrome portrait one, soon I think!

donna said...

raena--this is almost real time! I love color, I always have. But monochromatic pieces are so moving! I look forward to that :-)

Krista Meister said...

Donna, this is a great lamp sketch. Glad you are happy with it, that makes all the difference. I loved your comment about building up the values and enjoying the process. And I always check drawings upside down too, for clarity and if I can't seem to get a certain angle right. Works great in tricking the brain and I almost always have to do it for faces. Great job, Donna!

donna said...

Krista--thanks for visiting and your compliments. I really appreciate it.