I struggled with folds in an earlier post, EDM #185--Draw a Cat. So, I sat down with my sketchbook and a very soft (8B) graphic pencil and really looked at some curtains. The top sketch is more life-like and the bottom sketch was more play, but I see some real improvement. I am still struggling to translate this into pen and ink. But, I see progress and that's what is important to me right now.
12 comments:
Excellent practice, Donna! I need to be doing some of this myself. I tend to get lazy with fabric!
Thanks raena! It was fun, once I got started. That's always the hardest part for me.
Oh Donna, you did such a good job!!! You GOT it! I remember when I was in high school we would come in to find fabric folded...sometimes pinned to a board in folds. I always loved drawing those days. It can almost be comforting.
.
I remember when you first struggled with those folds a while back...with the cat, right? Look how well you did here! Excellent!!!
Also, what you said is significant: "...and really looked at some curtains". Drawing is done more with the eyes than the hands. Draw what you SEE, not what you THINK you see.
Great job, Donna!
And progress is what it's all about, isn't it? I think this is a great pencil drawing - you did a fine job with the values and folds.
Great job!
I agree - you certainly nailed those folds .... now, on to the pleats! lol nancy
Ellen--Thank you so much! Yes, learning to see is the hardest part of drawing.
Dan--Thanks for the kind words. Progress IS what it is all about.
CC--I appreciate your comments, thanks.
Nancy--I will hold off on those pleats for now ;-) Thanks.
very good study of folds. Time goes so fast while doing these!
Benedicte--Yes, time does fly when drawing folds or anything else for that matter. Thank you for visiting and commenting!
Donna, how is it that I've never found your blog until now? I apologize for the oversight.
Folds are difficult to draw, but you did great here. As you said, it's how you see. I also find that if a drawing is "off", I'll turn the drawing and my reference photo upside down and check my angles to see if they're right.
I think folds and pleats are more fun to draw because you can abstract them, think of them only as shapes and not as an object.
Your drawings are showing real progress! Keep at it!
Hey Krista--I am glad you found my blog. Thanks for seeing my progress! Stop by on Sundays, which is my target day for new posts.
Post a Comment