Tuesday, September 21, 2010

But it's hard to live by the rules,

I never could and still never do. This is a line from a song that was popular in the early 1980's. The band was the Pretenders. It spoke to me then and still does now.

I did the following exercise from a book called The Complete Idiot's Guide to Drawing People Illustrated. The exercise called for using pencils in a variety of hardnesses to achieve the desired look. But anyone can do it but following the directions. I need to be different. And, I have the perfect color of Micron Pen for denim. So, here is my take the hem of a pair of jeans:
It looks like the picture, trust me ;-). 

18 comments:

Shalini said...

This is so cool!!!

Alex said...

Nice sketch!

Sarah said...

Looks pretty darn good to me. Rules are made to be broken ;-)

Louise said...

this is great! You've really captured the textures....and it's so neat and controlled. Lovely :)

Cathy Holtom said...

I really like the colour, break the rules and do what inspires you.

ANAIS G. BURGOS said...

Good efect!

Unknown said...

I say you nailed this exercise! Wonderful texture; great use of the micron!

donna said...

I would like to thank each and every one of you for taking the time to stop and comment. I appreciate EDM so much. Thank you again.

nanke's stuff said...

Great drawing, and doncha just love the Micron Pens? nancy

K said...

Wow, pretty realistic! And with pen, too... Way to go!

Dan Kent said...

This looks really cool. I lke the pen work and the composition. I love the Micron pens - they are what I use all the time to sketch out nowadays (005 tip) - but I tend to push too hard sometimes. I think if I did this, that would be the end of the pen. :)

Anonymous said...

a really beautiful sketch. I love the texture of the fabric, the shine, the contrast...
keep on doing it your way, you are very good!

Anonymous said...

Donna,
How are you doing with the drawing app on the ipod touch?
I would love to see your drawings.

donna said...

Nancy, Krista and Dan--I am sorry for the delay in thanks. It has been too long and I apologize.

donna said...

Benedicte--Thank you for the compliment. It made me very happy. I do not have much to share in the way of ipod drawings.

However, I am putting together a post for my blog tomorrow. You have given me the push I needed too.

donna

donna said...

Benedicte--I found a sketch from Zen Brush! I forgot I had saved it to my computer. It is on my latest post.

EmilieC. said...

I have the Idiot's guide, and I love it! It is a great reference book. Nice Sktech, too :)

EmilieC. said...

I have the Idiot's guide, and I love it! It is a great reference book. Nice Sktech, too :)