Friday, January 07, 2011

Blind Contour Friday

I have been wanting to try my hand at Blind Contour Friday for some time now. Today, I finally did!
The scissors were my first try. It really was more of an almost blind contour, as it was really hard to not peek!
I had so much fun, I decided to try my cordless phone. I think it was a good effort.
Last is my attempt at a more literal blind contour! LOL. I am glad I tried this exercise and know I will be doing more.

29 comments:

Cecelia said...

I liked to staple or tape large sheets of paper on the blackboard or wall in my claaroom, and stand up to do the blind contours with my students. Then we would go on to do contour, cross contour, etc as warm ups.

donna said...

Cecelia--thanks for visiting. I have never heard of a cross contour? Could you share? Thanks.

Kathy Kreidler said...

I like your blind contour drawings. The process is addicting, isn't it?

nanke's stuff said...

Wow! You did a spectacular job with these (no pun intended). I'm glad you had fun doing them. nancy

Vicki Holdwick said...

I do love your blind contours and I met my friend, Nancy, through one of the groups, maybe EDM, found out she lived in Michigan and then that she was only about half an hour away.

We agreed to meet one day and hit it off really well. We've been great friends ever since.

Keep yourself open you may find an art friend in your area.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna, NICE! I think you did three wonderful drawings. Aren't the lines and shapes interesting? I have to say I'm partial to the glasses. Thank you for playing!

Lynn Logan Roselli said...

Really nice job!

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna, I noticed your question about cross contour drawings. I hope I'm not being too forward, but I had a posting about cross contour drawings on my blog with a link to a detailed "how - to". I'm providing you the link to my posting, just in case :) Thank you. ~Peggy
http://peggy.stermer-cox.com/?p=5458

donna said...

Indiana--yes, it is addicting. I will be doing more.

Nancy--Thanks for stopping by and it is wonderful to see you out and about again! I missed you.

Vicki--Thank you and I will keep myself open to all possibilities in regard to an art friend. I may even have an idea.

Peggy--Thanks, I am glad I gave it a try. Thanks for the link too. It sounds hard, but I thought that about blind contours too, and I really enjoyed that.

Lynn--Thanks for the kind words.

shirley said...

Your blind contours are actually easily recognizable - unlike mine! Good job!

donna said...

Thanks Shirley!

gatheringwonder said...

fabulous

Alex said...

Glad you had fun with these as they really do look fun!
I am tempted to try it one day ;)

Unknown said...

These are great, Donna!! I do hope to see more of you this year!

And thank you for the email! I laughed so hard! I had just returned home from spending the $100 my grandmother gave me. She wanted me to spend it on clothes because apparently she isn't happy with my baggy jeans. LOL Anyway, I came home with clothes all chosen for their ability to 'hold' my equipment, etc. It's all about the art!!

Anonymous said...

Blind contour drawings are always very touching, like non dominant hand drawing and yours are very touching, specially the glasses.

donna said...

dthaase--thanks for the kind comment.

Alex--I hope you do one of these soon too.

raena--thanks! I hope you see more of me this year too. Is there something wrong with baggy jeans ;-) ? I am glad you got a laugh from my email.

speaking of emails

Benedicte--could you email me? I have some questions about sketching on the iPod Touch. My email is on my profile page. Thanks in advance and thanks for the kind words.

Ellen Burkett said...

These are great Donna! It's so hard to explain to people who don't draw exactly how important blind contour drawing is. That being said, I haven't done one in decades. I think I had better do a few! Great job Donna!

kazumiwannabe said...

This is a fun exercise, and yours look good! I totally agree with what Ellen said in the above comment!

Shalini said...

Wow! Cool... Love your scissors!

donna said...

Shalini--Thanks! I am glad you enjoyed my blind contours.

Cathy Holtom said...

They do look like what they should be, very clever!

Mari Brown and Colourblob said...

I like your blind contours, especially the one with your glasses : ) I also like the drawing/painting you did in one of your last posts (the one with the trees and the cardenal).

donna said...

Cathy and . --thanks! I appreciate the visit and kind words.

Anonymous said...

Great blind contour drawings. It is always so hard to keep from peeking while doing them.

suzanne cabrera said...

Of all the types of drawings one can do...these are ALWAYS my favorite. LOVE the energy!!!!

donna said...

suzanne--thank you so much for visiting. i have just discovered your blog and enjoy it very much. I loved the love letters illustration. And I am really looking forward to news about the twins!

suzanne cabrera said...

My favorite type of drawings!!!!!!

Lynn Logan Roselli said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynn Logan Roselli said...

Love your courage! I have yet to try a blind contour drawing. I might try it.